Saturday, March 6, 2010

Max's Misfortune

So I'm sure many people have seen the commercials for the new tv show "Parenthood" on NBC on tuesday nights. I saw the show for the first time today and was taken aback by how much I could relate to this scene. The little boy, Max, has just been diagnosed with a high functioning form of autism. While this is not OCD I could not believe how the dialog is so similar to many of the conversations I have had with people that I love. I have been told "that's ridiculous, all (s)he's gotta do is...and (s)he's gonna be fine." It's funny how something that seems so simple, like walking by candles in Max's case, can be so complexed and difficult. People that have OCD really do have "something wrong", as the boy's father, Adam says. It took me a long time to accept that I had something wrong with the way my brain functioned, but once I looked at it as like being sick. Having OCD is just like someone living with diabetes. There's no cure but there's ways to control and live a happy life with it. I didn't do anything wrong to have this disorder it was something I was born with like a lot of other people with diseases. Anyways here's the video and please leave comments and questions.

3 comments:

  1. I'm really glad you said that! I've never thought of the similarities between disorders like autism and OCD like that, but it's true. Getting to know you is going to help me to help so many others in the future. Look how far forward this blog is reaching already!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! We could have written that scene! Love you and proud of you! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Always Thinking and Anonymous Mom,
    great cross media tie-in! How does OCD affect you and how do you deal with its effects? For example, is it like you are always thinking about one particular thing and those thoughts compel you to behave a particular way?

    ReplyDelete